Article Comment 

Space heater causes house fire near MSU campus

 

Flames engulf a home on Hillcrest Road near Mississippi State University on Monday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze but the home suffered extensive damage.

Flames engulf a home on Hillcrest Road near Mississippi State University on Monday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze but the home suffered extensive damage. Photo by: Alex Holloway/Dispatch Staff

 

Dispatch Staff Report

 

 

A Monday afternoon fire officials believe may have started with a space heater heavily damaged an Oktibbeha County home near Mississippi State University. 

 

The fire, which started around 1:30 p.m. Monday, caused extensive damage to a home on Hillcrest Road, near Campus Bookmart on the north side of MSU's campus. 

 

Oktibbeha County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said the East Oktibbeha County Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze, with assistance from the Bell Schoolhouse department and Starkville Fire Department. 

 

Rosenhan said the fire is believed to have started from a space heater in an enclosed carport near the front of the house. 

 

No injuries were reported in the fire, and the victim family will stay with relatives in its aftermath. 

 

Rosenhan said the county's fire investigators are continuing to look into the cause of the fire.

 

 

 

printer friendly version | back to top

 

 

 

 

 

Follow Us:

Follow Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us via Email